Friday, February 24, 2012

Wine Tastings--February 23, 2012

Santola Vinho Verde
$7.95
Portugal

What Vintage Cellar Said:
Soft and creamy, although with just the right Vinho Verde bite, this is a crisp and clean wine, boasting light pear and pink grapefruit flavors.  Off dry and very fresh.

What Jelisa Said:
Smelled like dish soap, but I did kinda like this one.  It was kinda bubbly going down but I couldn't really taste anything with this one.  I did not have food with this wine.



Protocolo Blanc
2010
$6.95
Spain

What Vintage Cellar Said:
Greenish gold.  Subtle aromas of mint, lemon, and orange, with a hint of honeysuckle.  Dry, understated and focused, offering clean citrus and melon flavors and slow-building sweetness.  Finishes dry and brisk, with an echo of lemon.  As usual, this is an outstanding value.

**this wine was also rated by Stephan Tanzer and he gave it 87 points**

What Jelisa Said:
Oaky smell with a hint of cheese.  Tastes like clothes straight out of the dryer and it also tasted kinda woody.  I did not have food with this wine.



Resonata Nero D'Avola
2010
$6.95
Italy

What Vintage Cellar Said:
Dense ruby red with violet reflections.  Lush and ripe bouquet full of mulberries, blackberries, and spice.  Harmonious and well balanced with good berry fruit in a spicy background.

What Jelisa Said:
Smells like cherries and sort of like alcohol swabs (obviously).  It had a really strong bitter taste to it, it was also kinda hot.  I didn't really like this one. I didn't have any food with this one.





Don Ramon Tinto
$7.95
Spain

What Vintage Cellar Said:
75% Grenache, 25% Tempranillo.  Aged 3 months in American Oak casks.  Ruby red in color, with creamy aromas of the earth and cherry.  Flavor turns toward deeper and darker black cherry and raspberry on a medium framework.  A subtle earthiness underneath the bright fruit adds some depth and complexity.

What Jelisa Said:
Really sweet smell, tastes really bitter.  It was too strong for my liking.  I wouldn't mind to try this one again with food and without to see if my tastes are different from the first time I tried it.





Heinz Eifel Shine Riesling
2010
$8.95
Germany

What Vintage Cellar Said:
Flint and mineral notes accent pineapple and lime aromas, while on the palate, the wine shows plenty of ripe citrusy fruit flavors.  Tangy acids on the long finish provide balance.

What Jelisa Said:
It smelled like it was burnt, I also got a tad bit of pear when I did a second sniff.  It was really sweet going down but like the Santola I really couldn't taste anything.



Usually, out of all the weekly tastings I go to I have one wine that I really like and end up purchasing.  This week that didn't happen, I really didn't like the wines all that much this week but hopefully next week there will be something that I really like.

Until next week,
-Jelisa

No comments:

Post a Comment