Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wine Tastings--February 16, 2012

Cantina Villafranca Frascati
2010
$7.95
Frascati, Italy

What Vintage Cellar Said:
Produced from a selection of the best grapes located in the Frascati Doc production area.  Made from 45% Malvasia di Candia, 15% Trebbiano Toscano, 25% Malvasia del Lazio, 15% Gretchetto (Greco).  Intense yellow color with greenish reflections.  Characteristic persistent fresh and fruity aromas.  Excellent as an aperitif and paired with fish, seafood, or white meat.

What Jelisa Said:
When I smelled the wine it smelled like cheese to me. It also have a very strong taste to it. Personally, I didn't like this wine, I feel like there were better wines that I have tasted in the weeks before.  I did not eat anything when I was tasting this wine.  I would like to try it again with food to see if my opinion of it will change though.


Morro Bay White Oak Estates Chardonnay

2009
$5.95
Lodi, California

What Vintage Cellar Said: 
Vanilla cream soda nose with a slice of fresh cut pineapple.  Full body, tropical fruit, spice and pleasant vanilla oak note linger in the finish.  Sweet flavor on the palate is for sur-lie aging the wine on the primary yeast lees for 7 months.  A versatile style of wine that can be served chilled with fine cuisine or a glass with friends.  Certified Green by Lodi Rules Sustainable Winegrowers.

What Jelisa Said: 
It smelled like an old closet, kinda musty and mothy (if that is even a word).   It had a dry wooden taste, I didn't not eat food with this one but to be quite honest with you I probably would not try this one again if food was present.


Coreto Tinto 

2008
$6.95
Lisboa Region
Portugal

What Vintage Cellar Said: 
This red from the Coreto range has loads of dark berry fruit with a hint of new oak creating a soft, velvet structure that makes it very easy to drink.  Red currant and juicy acidity.

What Jelisa Said:  
I smelled cherries when I did the first swirl and sniff. It was kinda oaky, really strong but not to bitter.  I didn't have food with this but I really did enjoy this wine. I wouldn't mind to try this one again. 





Charles Thomas Cotes-du-Rhone
$8.95
Rhone, France

What Vintage Cellar Said:
From a 140+-acre estate near the well-known Cotes du Rhone village of Point Saint Esprit emerges this juicy Cotes du Rhone, a blend of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre.  Well-made, with loads of berry fruit and a heady, meaty, peppery nose with a hint of Provencal herbs, the wine is fresh, lively, and best drunk over the next 2 years.

What Jelisa Said:
It had a sweet smell to it, I couldn't really describe what the actual smell was but nonetheless it was sweet.  It was really bitter and it tasted straight up like pepper.  I did not have anything to eat with this wine when I tasted it.

Lost Vineyards Spumante Dolce
$4.95
Italy

What Vintage Cellar Said:
Pale silvery straw color.  Floral aromas of apples, peaches, and potpourri follow through on a round, frothy entry to a fruity medium bodied sweet wine with good depth and tangy peachy fruit and a breezy, harmonious green apple kissed finish.

What Jelisa Said:
When I did the swirl and sniff, it really smelled like flowers.  It reminded me of a peach soda and it really goes down smooth.  I really enjoyed this one and I even bought two bottles of it. I did not eat anything with it when I was at the tasting but when I got home I ate some grapes and tried it again.  With the grapes it tasted even sweeter than it did when I didn't eat anything with it.  I would highly recommend this bottle to anyone.  Hopefully Vintage Cellar will have some more bottles come in before spring break though... :)

-Jelisa



No comments:

Post a Comment